Ruth (name changed)
- husband died
- 2 of her own children died
- is now raising 3 grandchildren
- Ember gave her ground nuts to plant, blankets, school uniforms, and a micro-credit loan of 500 Kenyan shillings to start a business selling matchbooks and paraffin.
- she herself is living with HIV/AIDS.
- 4 of her children died, leaving her with 5 grandchildren to raise
- some of the grandchildren are epileptic
- Ember gave her a 500 Kenyan shilling loan – she buys bananas and walks a far distance to the market in Funyula to sell them
- Her grandparent group chose her as the recipient for an Ember house. It was being built in October of 2009.